Thursday, January 3, 2013

To Remember Their Song


Because I remember her song, because I have heard their songs- all of them for all your beloved children and parents and fathers and mothers and friends and others, I will continue to use my voice to speak out against the pathologization of normal grief.  

From Dr. Allen Frances,

After 40 years and lots of clinical experience, I can't distinguish at two weeks between 
the symptoms of normal grief and the symptoms of mild depression- 
and I challenge anyone else to do so. This is an inherently unreliable distinction. 
And I know damn well that primary care doctors can't do it in a 7 minute visit. 

Thank you Dr. Allen Frances for enduring with us.  Please read his full blog here.

This story has not yet ended.





No comments:

Becoming...

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The soul still sings in the darkness telling of the beauty she found there; and daring us not to think that because she passed through such tortures of anguish, doubt, dread, and horror, as has been said, she ran any the more danger of being lost in the night. Nay, in the darkness did she, rather, find herself.

--St. John, Dark Night of the Soul


Follow me on Facebook