Saturday, February 6, 2010

Death Studies: Spring 2010


























The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass,

it becomes a mysterious, awesome, magnificent world in itself.


~H. Miller


Nearly 50 students filled the classroom this Spring, their anticipation apparent in their early arrivals on the first day of class. They were eager to learn that of which we, even in the Academy, rarely speak.

For five days, at least eight hours at a time, they listened, watched, touched, and experienced. We laughed. We cried. We contemplated. We questioned. We wondered. We reached. We grew. We bore witness to pain and loss. And we entered that space willingly and honestly. I don't know if there are words to express what happened in our five days together, but for so many, myself included, it was too powerful to ever forget.

And so, I won't. I won't ever forget my Spring of 2010 students and the many miles of journeying we've done together. These brief moments will endure long beyond my tenure at Arizona State. And I hope that, one day, when they need a lesson about life, love, trauma, and death, our time together will be a catalyst for healing, both in receiving and in giving.

Thank you each. Thank you.

3 comments:

Amy H said...

Thank you Dr. Cacciatore and thank you to the rest of the Spring 2010 class. Dr. Cacciatore said it the best as to what this semester was for our class. I really enjoyed the class.

Forever, my heart has been touched and in return, I plan to touch many others hearts during the rest of my journey.

I love the Gahndi quote, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." It fits my philosophy perfectly.

Amy Hayhurst

janis said...

I wish I was there.

I am sure it was an awesome, life-changing experience. Thank you for doing this. xo

Dr. Joanne Cacciatore said...

I wish you were there too Janis. Maybe, one day :-)

Becoming...

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
The soul still sings in the darkness telling of the beauty she found there; and daring us not to think that because she passed through such tortures of anguish, doubt, dread, and horror, as has been said, she ran any the more danger of being lost in the night. Nay, in the darkness did she, rather, find herself.

--St. John, Dark Night of the Soul


Follow me on Facebook